Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Songs from the East Village

I'm deep in the throes of producing an album for my daughter's school. I don't make perfect cupcakes and you have to do something! So we started recording before the summer and now the December deadline is looming.

I have seen for myself that at school talent shows today, lip-synching to the latest hits is being confused with talent. So I started to think of ways in which kids could be the stars of an album from their school with songs that come from their own families. Now we have songs from Iraq, Nigeria, Mauritius, the United States, Spain and of course Ireland. Much of today was spent laying down basic tracks for the piece from India.

No school tomorrow so it'll be a day in the studio for some of the girls. Sunday will be for the students from Tibet, some of whom arrived directly from there to New York a few months ago and are now students at our school.

No comments:

Post a Comment