Wednesday, October 6, 2010

West

Just after I wrote the last post I got a call from the musician John Doyle to go on tour at 48 hours notice, so I took off on a tour through Washington, Pennsylvania and California. John and I started our careers together, so it was very enjoyable to perform some of the songs we had done together back then, as well as material that we each learned from each others more recent repertoire. I stopped off in Portland for an hour to go to Bushka's for dinner before getting back on a flight to Spokane. Caridwen picked me up at the airport (eventually! ha!) and I'm so glad I got to meet her as she's a rare soul.

The next morning I was up early and got take a short stroll through downtown and see the carousel. Unfortunately I was too early to get a ride on that! A short while later one decent rehearsal was enough for us to get our bearings, a nap to combat the jet lag, and then we were ready for our first performance in 17 years at the Bing Crosby Theatre.
I was sorry I didn't get to stay longer and see more of Spokane and the region. I have good friends not far north in Nelson so I'm very happy now to have made such good friends in Spokane and good reason to return.

Seattle was next where we played The Triple Door, and then Traditions in Olympia where I always pick up some of their Peace Fleece. It's a lovely wool made by combining the wool from sheep of two family farms in Russia and Maine. They have a wonderful ochre this time and I got some new needles. I'd never gotten to see much of Olympia on previous visits so this time I enjoyed a stroll out to the lake and also to a great second hand bookshop where I picked up a copy of Dumas' The Count of Monte Cristo.

We had a day free in Portland next where I popped in to see The Secret Society Ballroom. It's a beautiful room and I'm looking forward to playing there on Saturday 27 November as part of the Singing in the Dark tour.

It was up early the next morning (4:45am) to fly to Philadelphia for the Celtic Festival in Bethlehem. We had two evening concerts over two days in a lovely concert hall and some old friends travelled from New York for them. I was almost finished The Count of Monte Cristo so I found another second hand bookstore and picked up another Dumas. Another thing I love to do when I'm on the road is to browse in thrift stores and Bethlehem has some great ones.

Then it was back west for the Sebastopol Celtic Festival. Cloud Moss has developed something really special in his festival over the years and I was really happy to return. The last time I played there was with Johnny Cunningham a few weeks before he died. There was a lot of warmth and good feeling in the room where most of the performances were held. It brought back a lot of good memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment